Savings Within Reach

En Español

Put savings within your reach with Energy Trust cash incentives

Savings Within Reach makes it easy for moderate-income households to make energy-efficiency upgrades and participate with Energy Trust—helping you save money on energy-efficiency home improvements and lower utility costs.

By working with a participating trade ally contractor who installs qualifying improvements in your home, you can reduce out-of-pocket expenses by receiving increased cash incentives that are deducted upfront from your invoice. View the three steps to participate.

Who can participate in Savings Within Reach

  • Oregon residents living in a single-family or manufactured home. Please note: For rental properties, the homeowner or property owner must approve the energy-efficiency improvements before work begins.
  • Residence must be heated with electricity or natural gas provided by Portland General Electric, Pacific Power, NW Natural or Cascade Natural Gas.
  • Your household must meet Energy Trust's moderate-income qualifications (see below), which are based on the number of residents and gross annual income—your total income before tax credits and deductions—of the home.

Contact us at 1.866.368.7878 with income qualification questions or other details regarding Savings Within Reach.

You may qualify for certain upgrades at no cost to you from your local Community Action Agency based on your income. Visit to find a community action agency near you.

Savings Within Reach moderate-income qualifications

  Gross annual income
Household size Minimum Maximum
1 resident $23,340 $52,530
2 residents $31,460 $60,070
3 residents $39,580 $67,486
4 residents $47,700 $75,025
5 residents $55,820 $81,082
6 residents $63,940 $87,014
7 residents $72,060 $93,071
8 residents $80,180 $99,004

Frequently asked questions

Do I need multiple bids to participate in Savings Within Reach?

No. Energy Trust does not require you to have multiple bids. However, to receive incentives, you must work with an Energy Trust trade ally contractor who participates in Savings Within Reach.

If I receive Savings Within Reach incentives, am I still eligible for other Energy Trust incentives?

Yes. If you invest in other qualifying energy-saving improvements—such as a high-efficiency water heater—you can receive standard Energy Trust incentives. However, each improvement is eligible for only one incentive. For example, if you install wall insulation, you must choose either the Savings Within Reach incentive or the standard Energy Trust incentive.

To receive standard incentives for a non-Savings Within Reach project, you pay the contractor in full, then submit your application and invoices to Energy Trust.

How do I determine my household’s gross annual income for Savings Within Reach?

Your gross annual income is the total amount currently earned annually by all household members before taxes and deductions. For example, if your hourly wage is $10 and you work 32 hours per week, your gross income is $16,640 (calculation: $10 hourly wage x 32 hours per week x 52 weeks per year = $16,640). Income includes all gross wages, tips, rental income, public assistance, social security or pensions, income from self-employment, alimony, or any other sources of income defined by the IRS income tax return.

Can I participate in Savings Within Reach if my household income is below the minimum income level?

Yes. However, if your gross income is below the minimum income level, you may qualify for free weatherization services from Oregon’s Weatherization Assistance Program, which is administered by Oregon Housing and Community Services. For more information, call 1.800.453.5511, option 2, or your local community action agency. You are not required to use these services before you participate in Savings Within Reach.

For Savings Within Reach, who counts as an occupant of my home?

Anyone who regularly sleeps at your home and is not considered a guest can be considered an occupant of your home. Children sleeping in your home as part of a shared custody agreement are considered occupants.