Program Manager – SALMON
Energy Trust of Oregon is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to energy efficiency and renewable energy development. We serve Oregon customers of Portland General Electric, Pacific Power, NW Natural, Cascade Natural Gas, Avista, and Washington customers of NW Natural. Year over year, Energy Trust is ranked one of the top 100 Best Nonprofits to Work for in Oregon.
Energy Trust is committed to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create a culturally attentive organization by reaching out to diverse candidates who will contribute a range of perspectives, experiences, skills and ideas to how we work, our programs and our services to best serve, reach and reflect the rich diversity of the customers we serve.
Energy Trust of Oregon is currently assessing a range of work location options to respond to the pandemic, continue to meet business needs and provide work location flexibility for employees. Currently, we are utilizing remote, hybrid and in-office work locations. We expect employees working remotely to maintain the ability to report to our office located in the Portland Metro area at the discretion of leadership and pandemic-related public health guidance.
While we are open to candidates who live throughout Oregon and Washington, the Program Manager would be expected to report to the office on a quarterly basis, at minimum. The program manager will also be expected to attend in-person meetings at the offices of Portland General Electric as requested. Out of state travel may be required up to twice annually.
Energy Trust is a fully vaccinated workplace. This includes all employees and agency contractors. All staff must submit proof of vaccination status or request an exception for health or religious reasons. This requirement applies to all employees, including staff who are working in-office, remotely from home or operating within a hybrid work model.
Given its funding source the estimated duration of this position is 4.5 years with potential for other opportunities after its conclusion.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
This position will manage the delivery of the SmartGrid Advanced Load Management & Optimized Neighborhood (SALMON) project to help meet Portland General Electric’s grid modernization goals. The SALMON project will demonstrate and document the value of installing new Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) as a grid resource for bulk system and distribution operations. The project has a goal of achieving 1.4 MW flexible load resource by deploying a range of DERs including smart inverters, managed EV charging, demand response and energy efficiency.
The Program manager will serve as Energy Trust’s lead for the project’s energy efficiency goals of retrofitting approximately 580 buildings with a range of treatments including weatherization, smart thermostats, heat pump water heaters, and high efficiency heating and cooling equipment. For this project Energy Trust is a subcontractor to Portland General Electric under a funding agreement from the US Department of Energy (USDOE). The project team includes PGE, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance (NEEA) and Community Energy Project (CEP). This position will collaborate closely with Energy Trust staff, project partners and utility staff, to develop and implement the SALMON project, including project management of key deliverables and reporting of outcomes to stakeholders, including USDOE staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage goal setting, program development and implementation of residential and commercial sector energy efficiency activities for SALMON
- Manage a $1.9 million budget, successfully accomplishing all contract deliverables
- Work across multiple sectors to deliver on all tasks, milestones and deliverables in SALMON project.
- Support PGE, and work with team members to develop the project charter, a detailed project schedule, and project accounting structure necessary to track project expenditures, as well as regular invoicing
- Oversee the development of contract(s) and extension(s) for multi-year implementation services.
- Work with Energy Trust staff to direct the work of partners delivering Home Energy Scores within the SALMON project
- Collaborate with CEP and additional stakeholders to establish a DEI plan outlining unique approaches to serving priority customer groups within the study area
- Work with Energy Trust staff and project partners to deliver on goals related to enrollment, customer and trade ally engagement to meet energy savings targets
- Present, negotiate, and manage relationships with PGE, subcontractors, advisory groups and external stakeholders to reach program objectives. Includes development of quarterly and annual reports, annual business planning, and budget development.
- Develop, review and assist program management contractors in developing various program forms, marketing pieces, and correspondence.
- Work with program staff and contractors in order to develop strategies to leverage financing opportunities to drive energy efficiency projects.
- Perform all functions of the job duties in a safe manner.
While this position does not have any direct staff reports, the position will work in a team-based environment and will lead initiatives and oversee work of staff and program management contractors as necessary in the course of managing specific programs and/or initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 5 years of experience in energy efficiency programs or related field(s)
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex contracts
- Technical aptitude or experience in renewable energy or energy efficiency preferred or the ability to translate skills to such
- Strong analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Public speaking experience preferred
- Experience in managing contracts, writing scopes of work, soliciting bids, negotiating and finalizing contracts, to managing the execution of the contract.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency in housing
- Experience working on multiple concurrent team-based initiatives
- Experience managing processes, facilitating dialogues, and coordinating projects
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word software applications. Ability to build spreadsheet models based on input from managers and stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal and contractor personnel management skills
- Successful experience working within multidisciplinary teams. Must be able to interact with a diverse workforce and be comfortable working in culturally diverse settings and groups
- Ability to learn complex tracking software
The above information is designed to outline the functions and position requirements of this job. It does not identify all tasks that may be expected, nor address the performance standards that must be maintained.
- Salary commensurate with skill and experience.
- Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Attn: Program Manager – SALMON
Energy Trust of Oregon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, mental and physical disability, political affiliation, union membership, status as a parent, military or veteran status or other non-merit based factors. We will provide reasonable accommodations throughout the application, interviewing and employment process. If you require a reasonable accommodation, contact us at email@example.com.
Energy Trust of Oregon is an E-Verify employer. This policy is applicable to all phases of the employment relationship, including hiring, transfers, promotions, training, terminations, working conditions, compensation, benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment.