What is solar ready?
A solar ready building is designed to accommodate the future installation of solar panels and equipment after construction is complete. By planning ahead for solar, you’ll enjoy the following benefits when the time is right:
- Roof structure equipped for solar
- No need to relocate HVAC rooftop units
- No need to open walls for piping or conduit
- Plenty of space for required electrical components
- Plug-and-play process for adding solar panels and equipment
Solar ready support from Energy Trust
Energy Trust offers solar ready cash incentives and technical support at three distinct stages, with solar design allies available to guide you through the process:
Solar assessment—Technical support and up to $2,000 to determine the solar potential of your building.
Solar ready design—Technical guidance and up to $5,000 to prepare solar plans and specifications for use during the bidding process.
Solar ready construction—Technical assistance and up to $15,000 to help you build to solar ready standards.
Solar installation incentives
When you’re ready to install solar panels, Energy Trust offers cash incentives that reduce the upfront cost of the equipment and installation. Federal tax credits paired with these incentives can lower the cost of installing solar panels by up to 75 percent.
If you plan to install solar panels on a new building that is under construction, Energy Trust has a Preliminary Incentive Application process that lets owners reserve their solar incentive early. To learn if your project qualifies for the Preliminary Incentive Reservation process, contact your New Buildings outreach manager by email or at 1.877.467.0930.
To qualify for solar ready assistance and incentives, the building owner must be invested in the solar design process and committed to completing a future solar installation. In addition, the project must meet all of the following criteria:
- The project must be served by Portland General Electric or Pacific Power to receive incentives for electric measures.
- The project must pay or plan to pay the public purpose charge.
- The project site must be located in Oregon.
- The project must be new construction, a renovation or an addition to an existing structure.
- The project must be a commercial, industrial, multifamily or institutional building.
- 1.5 Percent for Green Energy Technology in Public Buildings projects may receive solar ready assessment and design assistance, but are not eligible for solar ready construction incentives.
- The solar ready features must meet Energy Trust's Solar Ready Design and Construction Requirements.
Incentives are not intended to influence consumer decisions on fuel sources.
Customers must submit a completed copy of the Project Enrollment Form prior to applying for incentives.
Solar Ready Forms and Templates
Solar Installation Forms
Your solar trade ally will supply and complete all forms that are required to apply for solar installation incentives. If you have questions about the process, please call 1.866.368.7878 or email our solar team.